Two thirds of people in the United States are overweight, and over one third of the population is obese. These numbers have increased dramatically over the past 25 years. There are many factors that play into this, but the sickening thing is that we are killing ourselves. The leading causes of death in the United States (heart disease, cancer, stroke, respiratory diseases, diabetes, etc.) are mostly preventable! This blog is about my dedication to being healthy.
Monday, June 24, 2013
Marathon vs. Half...a Dilemma
So...I have completed five marathons. But the last few I've run I couldn't help but think how nice it would be to already be done when I passed that 13.1 line. My fastest marathon time was a disappointing 4:05 in the 2011 Ogden Marathon. So after completing that one I was determined to beat 4 hours! I kept training all summer and in the fall I ran the St. George Marathon. I kept a good pace for the first 15 miles and was on track to meet my goal, when achilles trouble started. I ended up walking most of the last ten miles and finished with a time of 5:35. After that I had to go to physical therapy to be able to run again. I decided that I was done with marathons and all of last year I just ran halfs. So much more fun! Your long runs really are never more than 12 miles, a great distance. However...now that I am getting more into running again, I am considering running a marathon. On Friday I ran 14 miles. I was ready to be done at 12 miles, but I pushed it and completed all 14. It wasn't fast, but I ran almost the whole time - and there was a lot of uphill! (an equal amount of down though, since it was out and back). It was a good run, I felt great after...so now I am considering the Top of Utah marathon in September. But do I want to commit to 15-22 mile runs....? I've got one month to make up my mind so we'll see what happens!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment